Position: Chief Financial Officer
Employment type: Full-time
Reports to: CEO
Genesys Works is a national leader in providing pathways to career success for high school students in underserved communities through skills training, meaningful work experiences, and impactful relationships. Currently in 6 cities across the country, we are positioning ourselves for future growth and have an exciting opportunity for a strategic business leader to join the National team as Chief Financial Officer.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the CFO will provide the vision, leadership, and management necessary to drive the financial sustainability and technology strategy needed to effectively grow Genesys Works. Genesys Works is a $30M+ social enterprise with 70% of its operating budget funded through earned income from its revenue generating corporate internship model. The organization currently operates 7 locations with 135 permanent employees and over 1,700 student employees annually, and the organization is preparing for high growth over the next 5 years. This is an exciting opportunity for a strong business leader who can bring strategic vision, solid financial and IT leadership, and a commitment to providing opportunities for more Young Professionals throughout the country.
As a member of the senior leadership team, the CFO will be the top finance executive and serve as an advisor to the regional Executive Directors, assisting them with financial planning, economic modeling and ongoing fiscal management. S/he will be responsible for overseeing all fiscal and fiduciary management of the organization, in conjunction with the National Board and the Finance & Audit Committee. Additionally, the CFO will lead the IT function by developing, implementing, and maintaining the information systems that will drive our ability to meet our business goals.
Location is flexible but Houston, TX; Chicago, IL; Washington, D.C.; Minneapolis, MN; New York, NY; or Bay Area, CA are preferred.
Working in collaboration with other executive leaders, the CFO will be responsible for:
- Develop and oversee the financial approach to support the overall mission and strategic direction of Genesys Works
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep the Executive team and National Board informed about the organization’s financial status
- Recommend changes to Genesys Works’ business model to enhance programmatic impact and strengthen the organization’s financial position
- Advise the executive leadership team on the allocation and administration of budget and resources
- Manage administrative functions including: real estate negotiations, risk management, legal counsel as necessary, review of annual revision of MOUs, and insurance coverages.
- Ensure compliance with all annual filing requirements
- Design annual budgeting process, including coordinating with budget managers to align the process with the organization’s annual priorities
- Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants
- Manage the Audit & Finance Committee
- Provide informational and resource support to all department leaders to ensure they meet their financial goals
- Develop, evaluate, and communicate short- and long-term fiscal strategies that align with organization’s established goals
- Monitor investments
- Manage daily, monthly and annual cash flow needs
- Develop and maintain key relationships (bankers, financial and legal advisors, etc.)
- Build organizational capability required to execute strategy, drive desired culture and achieve performance objectives.
- Ensure that all financial and human resources compliance issues are properly addressed including but not limited to the annual financial and 403(b) audits, state and federal compliance requirements, and investment plan
- Develop long-term and short-term IT strategy for the company; oversee development and implementation of an IT roadmap, including key prioritization and sequencing of key systems
- Build the systems, processes, and team required to support rapid growth
- Proactively identify and pursue opportunities to leverage new technologies to achieve key strategic objectives
- Establish and maintain the company’s hardware, network and other communication resources
- Lead all operations of Information Technology department including programming, operations, technical, desktop and mobile technical support; department standards; procedures and work flow; short- and long-term department planning, implementation of new applications and interfaces with purchased software, and upgrading existing applications to system and vendor software
- Monitor KPIs and IT budgets to assess technological performance
- Use stakeholders’ feedback to inform necessary improvements and adjustments to technology
The Career Opportunity
For a proven leader with change management and scalability experience, this position offers the following career opportunities:
- The opportunity to remove roadblocks to program growth while realizing economies of scale
- The opportunity to leverage a strong foundation and drive young professional outcomes along with substantial growth in number of young professionals served
- The opportunity to implement best practices at scale, proving what’s possible as a social enterprise
- The opportunity to build an equitable environment that levels the playing field for young professionals regardless of their background and prepares them for choice-filled lives
- The chance to work with a passionate team of program staff and leaders who are making a proven difference in the lives of young professionals nationwide
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate has proven executive leadership skills, blending strong strategy and team management and development experience.
Specifically, this individual will have the following experience and capabilities:
- Currently hold or previously held title as S/VP Finance, Controller, or CFO
- High integrity and commitment to Genesys Works’ mission, vision and values
- Experience managing and developing a remote team (>10) and across a multi-site business model
- Experience with cash management and forecasting of >$30M
- Proven track record in audit and regulatory management
- Exhibit high levels of intelligence, analytical strength, and conceptual ability
- Superior project management and presentation skills
- Experience and track record to serve as a critical advisor and subject matter expert for financial structures, with ability to work across all levels and program areas
- Decisiveness when necessary, coupled with a willingness to seek input and build consensus
- Communication skills providing complex ideas and information clearly and concisely
- Experience in a high-growth nonprofit social enterprise preferred
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package inclusive of a 403(b) retirement plan.
Genesys Works is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.