Company: Genesys Works
Locations: National Office (Houston, TX or New York, NY preferred)
Employment type: Full-time
Reports to: Senior Vice President of Finance and Technology
Genesys Works is a national social enterprise sparking sustainable futures for high school students in underserved communities. By providing rising seniors skills training, meaningful work experiences, and connections to professional networks, we are helping young adults onto a path to economic self-sufficiency and a lifetime of career success. Currently in 6 cities across the country, we are positioning ourselves for future growth and impact.
Purpose of Position
The Director of Finance will drive the organization’s financial operations and improve its financial performance, reporting, analysis and forecasting. This position will be responsible for daily, weekly, and monthly accounting tasks and activities. The Director of Finance will make recommendations to management for the development and implementation of accounting practices and procedures to ensure proper internal controls and accurate & timely financial record keeping and reporting. This position must meet tight deadlines and perform a multitude of accounting activities, including reconciliations and financial reporting. While the role will reside within Genesys Works’ Finance Team, the position requires working closely with sites and departments across the organization to support new and ongoing organizational initiatives.
- Supervise day-to-day activities of the accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll personnel, acting as back up for the Accounting and Payroll Managers.
- Ensure the accuracy and integrity of all accounting and financial reporting for Genesys Works – National and the Genesys Works – Sites by applying a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- For Genesys Works – National and all Genesys Works – Sites:
- Manage and execute the budgeting process.
- Handle cash management duties, including bank reconciliations, positive pay, review bank balances, and employee expense reports.
- Respond to inquiries from the staff regarding financial budgets, deposits, disbursement, and special/grant reporting requests.
- Reconcile all balance sheet and income statement accounts on a monthly/quarterly basis as indicated by the monthly closing schedule.
- Ensure compliance with accounting and financial reporting requirements of federal, state, and other governing bodies.
- Recruit, train, mentor, and lead accounting and payroll personnel, ensuring the ‘organization’s ability to accomplish its mission. Identify goals and areas of growth for both individuals and department(s), implement performance factors, continually monitor progress, provide ongoing feedback and guidance, and appraise results. Initiate employment and release of such personnel in consultation with the executive team, when appropriate.
- Coordinate and oversee the external financial, and 403(b) audit engagements.
- Manage the preparation of IRS Forms 990 and 5500.
- Prepare financial data for funding requests.
- Prepare and present financial results to the various site Executive Directors in collaboration with the Senior Vice President of Finance and Technology.
- Coordinate and prepare forms for annual insurance renewals.
- Deep belief in organizational mission;
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) required;
- Thorough understanding of accounting principles, account code structures, general ledgers, journal entries, and financial statements;
- Must have proven technical skills in accounting principles, methods and standards and be able to accomplish financial tasks independently;
- Multi- business unit experience and controller experience preferred;
- Accounting degree with nonprofit executive experience preferred
- 10+ ‘years’ experience in accounting procedures and supervision
- Demonstrated success in written and verbal communication, organizational skills, the ability to train others, and human relation/problem-solving skills.
- Self-motivated ability to multi-task, and ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and external entities to maximize performance and effectiveness while instilling a strong culture of teamwork;
- Ability to work independently toward a team focused goal;
- Development and grant experience preferred;
- Must pass a background check;
- Microsoft Excel proficiency required; Advanced Microsoft Excel user-preferred;
- Familiarity with NetSuite, Salesforce, and Adaptive Insights preferred.
|Dependability||Being reliable, responsible, and fulfilling obligations|
|Adaptability/Flexibility||Being open to change and considerable variety in the workplace|
|Attention to Detail||Being careful about every detail and thorough in completing work tasks|
|Stress Tolerance||Accepting constructive criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high-stress situations|
|Self-Control||Maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in challenging situations|
|Integrity||Being honest and ethical|
|Service Orientation||Actively looking for ways to help people|
|Interacting with Computers||Using computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) to set up functions, enter data, or process information.|
|Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships||Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others and maintaining them over time.|
|Training and Supervising Others||Identifying the training needs of others (adapting as necessary) and teaching or instructing others in proper and efficient techniques or procedures|
|Effective persuader||Ability to listen and adapt message(s) to multiple audiences to persuade these audiences to perform requested actions|
|Oral communication||Communicating information and ideas in speaking so others will understand|
|Written Communication||Communicating information and ideas in writing so others will understand|
In our quest to be a nonprofit employer of choice, we offer:
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience and qualifications
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Company-paid life and disability insurance
- Generous time off to include vacation, wellness, and (10) company paid holidays
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with company match
- Communications allowance
- Flexible work arrangements
Commitment to Diversity
Genesys Works is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an equitable and inclusive environment for all employees. Genesys Works will not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind. We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion among our staff and corporate partners are essential to successfully executing our organizational mission. As such, we seek to recruit, support, develop, and retain high caliber talent from a diverse candidate pool that both complements and reflects the students we proudly serve.