Location: National Office (Location is flexible, but Houston, TX preferred)
Employment type: Full-time Exempt
Reports to: Chief Marketing Officer
Genesys Works is a national social enterprise sparking sustainable futures for high school students in underserved communities. By providing rising seniors skills training, meaningful work experiences, and connections to professional networks, we are helping young adults succeed on a path to economic self-sufficiency and a lifetime of career success. Currently in 6 cities across the country, we are positioning ourselves for future growth and impact.
Purpose of Position
The National Director of Communications role is strategic in nature, with a heavy emphasis on brand management. This role is responsible for managing all communications and building external relationships with the organization’s constituencies, including corporate partners, funders, and media. The goal of this new position is to raise national visibility of the organization to assist in attracting corporate partners, donors, and students to Genesys Works. As a member of the Marketing & Communications team, the National Director of Communications will be responsible for the planning, development and execution of a comprehensive strategy for Genesys Works’ marketing, communications, and public relations activities, both external and internal.
This role will advance the Genesys Works mission by communicating the vision and values of the organization through print and digital communications, as well as developing a strong media presence.
The role is responsible for coordinating at the strategic and tactical levels with the Chief Marketing Officer, the national marketing team, other members of the leadership team, site MarComm leads, and outside resources as necessary.
• Develop, implement, evaluate and measure the success of a comprehensive marketing, communications and public relations strategy that will enhance Genesys Works’ brand nationally and facilitate internal and external communications
• Build and manage a rich content/editorial calendar
• Lead the generation of online content that engages audiences and leads to measurable action
• Put communications vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities
• Manage development, distribution, and maintenance of all brand-approved print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, templates, newsletters, brochures, annual report, videos, scripts, and Genesys Works’ website
• Coordinate website content, ensuring that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly
• Track and measure the level of engagement over time
• Develop boilerplate language and messaging for key stakeholders
• Write articles or content on a wide range of topics for various communications channels (corporate partner case studies, blog posts, op-ed pieces, research report summaries, annual impact report)
• Work closely with and internal stakeholders and site MarComm leads to ensure materials/voice is on brand
• Establish strong relationships with sites to assist in achieving overarching organizational marketing goals and build engagement with site MarComm/Dev leads
• Manage PR resource (staff or contractor)
• Recruit, train, mentor, and lead MarComm personnel, ensuring the organization’s ability to accomplish its mission.
• Deep belief in organizational mission
• Minimum of five years’ experience in marketing, communications or public relations with demonstrated success
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, public relations preferred, and/or equivalent education and experience
• Excellent oral and written communications skills
• Strong project management skills
• Experience planning, developing and executing marketing, communications, and PR campaigns, including analytics/measurement
• Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud
• Demonstrated experience in developing content and managing communications across various social media platforms
• Experience developing and managing compelling and informative website content
• Demonstrated success in written and verbal communication, organizational skills, the ability to train others, and human relation/problem-solving skills
• Self-motivated ability to multi-task and work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
• Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and external entities to maximize performance and effectiveness while instilling a strong culture of teamwork
• Ability to work independently toward a team focused goal
• Experience managing team and partner relationships
• Must pass a background check
• Familiarity with Salesforce, Pardot, and Adobe Creative Cloud.
Commitment to Diversity
Genesys Works is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an equitable and inclusive environment for all employees. Genesys Works will not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind. We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion among our staff and corporate partners are essential to successfully executing our organizational mission. As such, we seek to recruit, support, develop, and retain high caliber talent from a diverse candidate pool that both complements and reflects the students we proudly serve.
In our quest to be a nonprofit employer of choice, we offer:
• Competitive compensation commensurate with experience and qualifications
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance
• Company-paid life and disability insurance
• Generous time off to include vacation, wellness, and (10) company paid holidays
• 403(b) retirement savings plan with company match
• Communications allowance
• Flexible work arrangements