Kirkland & Ellis Case Study
Kirkland & Ellis has provided a broad range of high-quality legal services to clients for more than 100 years. With offices around the world, Kirkland’s reach is continually growing.
According to Kirkland, it is important for them to “keep pace with today’s technology by providing our lawyers, staff and clients with the most advanced technology tools available to facilitate the practice of law.” As such, it was a natural extension for Kirkland to partner with Genesys Works.
For 7 years, Genesys Works high school interns have provided Kirkland & Ellis with support in their IT department. Kirkland first placed interns at the firm’s Chicago office and eventually expanded to their offices in Houston, Bay Area, and recently the Washington, D.C., area.
Our young professionals receive 8-weeks of training before gaining real-life work experience. They also earn a wage and are eligible for continued support after they graduate high school. The impact Genesys Works has on students changes their life trajectory:
- 5,758 students served since 2002
- 90% of students enroll in college
- 82% first generation college students
- 86% of graduates persist in college beyond their freshman year
- Students gain meaningful, work-based internship experience
- Workplace mentoring from professionals in the industry
The impact of Genesys Works is not only felt by students. Our corporate partners also see incredible benefits from their participation:
- Realize a positive return on investment for participating in the program
- Young professionals bring new energy and diversity of thought to the workplace
- Provides management opportunities for intern supervisors
- Prepares future talent for higher education and workforce
- Drives value with cost-effective interns
- Increases community impact and fulfills philanthropic goals
Francess is a senior at Mount Vernon High School. She has made it a priority to surround herself with peers who are highly motivated and have high aspirations. These peers influenced her to participate in an internship during high school.
“I have learned so much about computers, being a part of an IT team, and working in a professional environment, like problem-solving, asking questions, being confident, and more,”
Francess said. “If I make a mistake, they tell me it’s okay, it happens to the best of us. They make it a very well-organized and drama-free workplace which I really appreciate.”
After high school, Francess aspires to enter the military and qualify for an army medical scholarship. She wants to eventually become an obstetrics gynecologist and deliver newborns. She knows the motivation and drive she acquired from the internship at Kirkland will serve her well on her path to success.